Thursday, July 13, 2006

Hidden Intentions?

Over the pass couple of days i've received quite a number of emails from people questioning my intentions for creating CraftMemo and offering it for free.

Hi Jan,

I have a simple question. You did all this to offer it for free. Where is the catch. Just curious. I know I would not design software to do something and then not charge for it. I think it is neat you have done this but I am curious.

Thanks
xxxxxx


I've also posted on a forum and received several post expressing their concerns.

The following was my reply :

Hello Everybody,

Firstly thank you all for trying CraftMemo and posting your thoughts and comments.

I understand that some of you are questioning my intentions as it is fairly uncommon to see someone giving away a free service with no obvious financial gain. To help you understand where I am coming from, I will start by introducing myself. My name is Jan. Over the past 3 years, my partner and I have worked very hard to establish a trusted and reputable online bead-store called BeadCharm, based in Australia. It would make little sense for me to tarnish our reputation by developing and offering a service that has no foreseeable monetary benefits with the intentions of disclosing other people's trade secrets to their competitors, or using that information for our own purposes.

The initial reason for creating CraftMemo was to satisfy our needs as a supplier of beads, that of having to organize a massive and diverse inventory of craft supplies from multiple suppliers. My partner was really impressed with the functionality and decided to share it with a few friends who then suggested that the service could be universally applicable and utilised by a larger audience. Based on customer feedback received from our initial testing we decided to go ahead and turn it into a fully functional and working website that was accessible to anyone who had a need.

I am not writing to convince you to use this service, just to assuage any fears that my intentions are malicious.